SimilOss® was created on the observation that the appropriate microstructure is essential for a synthetic bone graft. This observation has been scientifically substantiated since Orthogem first made its observation in 2001.
(Interconnected porous Hydroxyapatite for ceramics for bone tissue engineering, Dec 2008 (Osteoinductive Biomaterials: Current knowledge of properties, experimental models and biological mechanisms; Habibovic et al; European Cells Materials Vol. 21 2011 (pages 407 – 429))).
Other synthetic Bone Grafts produce a microstructure which, although similar in appearance to cancellous bone, simply does not produce the appropriate environment for bone regeneration. Orthogem refined the basic microstructure to ensure a consistent implant performance.
Structure of SimilOss®
The highly porous structure of SimilOss® results in:
- Accommodates osteocyte formation within the graft site
- Recruits and actively conducts osteogenic cells throughout the graft micro-structural ‘superconduction’
- Osteocyte manipulation stimulates natural bone formation
- Total resorbtion of the ceramic Synthetic Bone Graft
- No compromise in graft site strength or viability
- ‘Fit and Forget’
The proprietary manufacturing process delivers a fully resorbable structure, engineered with three distinct pore sizes to restore the naturally intended osteocyte density and promotion of cell seeding.
Clinical evaluation of SimilOss®
The use of SimilOss® in a number of spinal indications has reinforced the performance demonstrated in pre-clinical studies.
Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion at L5/S1 in 38 year old
|3 months post-op
||6 months post-op
||12 months post-op
Postero-Lateral Spinal Fusion at L4/S1 in 62 year old female
| 3 months post-op
|| 6 months post-op
|| 12 months post-op
Advantages of SimilOss® Synthetic Bone Graft
- Superior porous structural design confirmed through extensive pre-clinical testing1
- Super conduction guides bone growth throughout the whole implant site with homogeneous osteocyte density
- Resorbed at the same rate as new bone formation, fully integrated with the host’s bone remodelling process
- Only CE mark Class III device made from pure hydroxyapatite that is fully resorbable, resorption is controlled by the bone remodelling process not by its chemical composition
- Excellent clinical results2
- Reliable and consistent performance